Monday 23 September 2013

Good things come to those who work hard ;)

So, Monday again! what does that mean? a new entry on my Favourite Things because Monday has my favourite things!!

It must get pretty mundane if i only walk through the day and list all the activities so before i even start, i'd like to announce... I GOT MY AERIAL. I've been trying to get that since the beginning of summer. And i also got a very nice, slow, controlled front and back limber.

Okay, warm-ups first of all, six lines as per usual (back and forth is one) and then worked on various things like bear-walking, catleaps, wolf jumps, split jumps, kicks, front support hopping, kick handstand on both legs...

I've come to be unable to differentiate between my good or bad leg in a handstand, they all seem the same to me...

donkey kick to handstand, inchworms, and so on so forth. we did something new today though! it goes like this -

basically, you start on your tummy in an arched position, and roll, so that neither your hands nor feet touch the ground, and go into a hollow position. continue across the floor as so.

Also we worked on little things like straddle roll, slide to tummy, rock in an arch 3x, or the same thing backwards with a hollow 3x.

Eventually we went to vault, cranked the vault down a bit, but it was still well above half my height, so it's a bit intimidating for me, and i'm sure the littler gymnasts have an even harder time! So, we did...

- Squat on --> 10 box jumps + 10 push ups + 10 sit ups
- Straight jump --> 5 box jumps + 5 push ups + 5 sit ups
- Front handspring / either of the above --> 5 box jumps + 5 push ups + 5 sit ups
- Front handspring / either of the above --> 10 box jumps
- Front handspring / either of the above --> 20 box jumps

On one of my front handsprings i veered to the side and landed with my feet slung under my hips so i shot forward and pretty much faceplanted into the ground. Slightly amusing but more embaressing, since the two boys working the strap bars nearby were staring at me like i was some sort of alien.
(or alienne, since i am a girl?)

After vault we dragged the incline mats onto the floor and some crash mats and sting mats and separated, the younger girls, the ones meant to be in the Intermediate girls on one side, working cartwheels, backwards rolls, and the like,

and the Teen girls on another line, working ...

- backward roll
- backward extension / to front support roll
- cartwheel --> good leg
- cartwheel --> bad leg
- handstand pops
- power hurdle cartwheel
- standing round off rebound
- power hurdle round off rebound
- back walkover
- front walkover
- front handspring

and before we separated and on various little amusements, such as valdez (from sitting to a back walkover, i cannot do this) front and back limbers, which i can very surprisingly do quite well, nice and controlled, slow and easy, landing light on my feet and i am not struggling to get over or up, yay!

And one of the girls taught us a variation of the back limber, in which you start from a squat and then stand quickly while going back into a bridge.

I tried.

I could sort of do it, except... my hands land waaaay too close to my feet! and not only that, due to the momentum of the movement, i pretty much go head over heels, kick myself in the face, and then flop to the side. very attractive indeed.

And then the other girl went ot work on her round-off back handsprings, while me and another went to work on our standing back handspring on an incline mat, but my hands felt achy and sore from back rolls, so i didn't do them.

After resting awhile, i saw the other girl ask to do front tucks and aerials, so i decided to join in, but only with aerials, since i've been attempting them since the beginning of summer.

And lo and behold!

After a few tries, some in which i put one hand down just as i am going to put my leg down, or some that i actually land but in such a twisted way i fling myself to one side, i finally got one!

And i'm talking air!

As in, a frozen moment in time where i am staring at the ground, it's NOT inches away from my face, my hands are by my ears, legs in a straddle, and then BAM! i land it, my hands remain by my face, and i'm like "YES!!!!" with a massive rush of excitement!

And then pain shoots through my leg and i realize i've landed it with straight legs. but other than that, i've got it!! all else can be fixed later on but first and foremost, i got it!!

I wanted to continue playing but for the sake of the younger kids, we decided to play Island Tag, so we dragged out the mats, the boxes, the inclines, and spread them over the floor.

Island Tag -

in which it is just like tag but you cannot go onto the floor; only on the mats or inclines or boxes. once tagged, you, and the original tagger, are both it. so... like a virus.

Anyway, i learned a valuable lesson today -

if a jump looks like it might be too far to make it, especially if it is onto a box, DON'T TRY IT, because the box will very likely skid out from under you, send you sprawling onto the floor (and this happened three times, i may add, twice to me and once to the other teenaged girl, before we learned our lesson) and the Coach will yell, "you jump ON the box! not AT it!" and everyone will fall apart and dissolve in giggles.

That aside, we didn't work on beam nor bars nor the tumble track today but it was a fabulous day ^_^

And everything else aside, those ribbed boys are so talented, haha. ;D

Well, that's all for now, i suppose!

Until next time then! :D

Oh! and today, i wore a black velvet leo. the top is crushed velvet with sparkles, separated by a diagonal silver line, and then simple plush velvet. Wore light gray capri leggings today instead of shorts, because i have a rash on my legs and i don't want to make it worse. ~

See ya'll next time! <3

~Re

No comments:

Post a Comment