Wednesday 19 March 2014

Finally Got My Ears Pierced!

So, finally after years of wishing i could pierce my ears, i finally did it while i was abroad. 

What's the story?

Well, ever since i was a kid i knew i wanted pretty earrings like all my aunties had. My Mom never told me no, she said it was my body and as long as i wanted them, i could get them, so the issue lay with me - i was terrified of needles, even the idea of needles. 

I was that kid who ran around screaming during school immunizations and flustered the nurses so badly that they gave me the wrong shot. (they finally coerced me into taking it not with candy, not with ice cream, but by saying that it costs 50$ if i went to a clinic to get it done!) 

I was that kid who would get their cavaties fixed without the numbing injection thing, because there's no way i would let a needle go near my mouth. (i strangely had canine teeth that had roots as a kid, and i didn't let them stick a needle in my gum for that either - they yanked it out without, at my request) 

I was that kid who wore magnetic earrings for ears, even though they made my ears ache like no tomorrow. 

I was the kid who asked my parents, "Can't you hire someone to pierce my ears when i am asleep?" 

So what convinced me to change my mind?

Well, prior to the trip i already knew that i wanted to pierce my ears while abroad, and my good friend from the UK told me the piercing doesn't hurt, the after care doesn't hurt, and i believed her, and thought, 'might as well give it a try.' 

(although to counter this, my good friend from school had her ears pierced and the aftercare looked just SO painful. She would use cotton balls soaked in the solution and SQUEEEZE it around her earlobes tightly and rotate the piercing and her ear would turn all red and her eyes teary and i was TERRIFIED just watching her)

But somehow i had made up my mind - i was gonna get them done! I most certainly would! Although i did not think beyond "I am gonna get them done!" 

So me and some relatives and a cute baby was walking around just chillin' in Shilin Night Market (Taiwan), buying cute clothes and trying yummy foods and what not (and searching for presents), and we came across some ear piercing stalls. 

Since i had told them that i wanted to pierce my ears (and in secret! it's a surprise!) they dragged me in and told me to choose my starter earrings. I could choose either white gold or stainless medical steel. 

At which point i was so senselessly terrified that they just put one palette in front of me and asked, "which colour?" At which i chose blue - i knew from the beginning i wanted navy blue, but it was not an option, there was only sky blue, so i went with that. 

And at which point, i began to freak out.

The piercer didn't use guns on the size that i chose, only on the super tiny (and not as cute) studs. She was going to do it by hand. 

So i began flipping my sh*t, trying to back out, crying, "But it will hurt! It will hurt! It will huuuuuuurt!" but i was told to sit down and i did, but i was still cringing away, terrified.

They applied something that felt cold and minty to my ears and dotted the location and i was shying away, terrified, and i have no idea what went on behind my back (the preparement of the studs) … (but i hope it was safe and okay) and i was still cringing and crying and suddenly, POP! 

the first stud was in.

Truth to be told, it didn't hurt that much. it was just a pinch. but it was the sound of something sharp being forced through my flesh that really put me off. 

It was probably the scariest part, too. 

At which point, i began screaming, "Ow ow ow ow ow ow owwwww!!! hurts!!!!!" Even though it actually didnt, and the lady moved to the other side, and POP! the second one was through and i was done.

I was making such a big fuss that my aunt decided to start filming my reaction - and did i mention, i scared the baby really badly because i was yelling so much?

The strange minty thing eased whatever pain there might have been so i begged them to put more on, which they complied.

I twas handed a tiny dropper of aftercare liquid along with instructions (that i can't read), sealed in a plastic bag, and off we went.

By the way, the aftercare solution burns / feels cold. I can't decide which. I guess i can say it's a wintery feeling and doesn't really hurt, although there is a feeling that i am not used to.

At random afterwards, my ears would feel pinched or achy, but it is not constant and sometimes it is not there at all, for which i am grateful.

Also, despite everyone saying that they need to apply the solution to behind and in front of the ears and twist the stud, i was told to only put a drop in front and to not ever, ever, ever even THINK about rotating the earrings. 

And i guess birds of a feather really do flock together.

The aunt that took me to get my piercings done had hers done at Claire's, on the other side of the globe. Appearntly everyone said it wouldn't hurt so she believed them, and when they used the gun, she screamed loudly, and before she could protest and run away, the other ear was pierced too.

(I was begging her to get hers done with me because i knew that we were similar in reactions to pain)

It was rather hilarious, actually.

So… That's my story. 

By the way, this was yesterday. 

I hope all goes well. :) 

I would love to wear a gorgeous pair of dangly earrings to graduation and commencement. ^_^

Well, that's about it! Can't wait to brag about it when i get home! (although i might just stay silent and see how long it takes for everyone to notice!) 

Ciao then! 






~Rena~<3

No comments:

Post a Comment